Thursday, April 17, 2014

New chicken excitement & thoughts on the new rooster

I think I have lost it. LOL. I have officially made a Facebook page for my chickens, & to sell eggs with. I've named it the same as this blog, so perhaps it's easier for people to locate the facebook page if they choose.

My mom is sitting on the couch talking to a family friend who recently returned from Mayo's clinic in Minnesota for some diagnostics.  She hasn't seen or talked to us recently, so she isn't aware of all of the goings on here on our farm lately.  She knew we had chickens, but didn't realize that I new ordered new ones, and doesn't know anything about the appearances of them.

With her asking all these questions so she can describe the birds to Nina, it's getting me all excited about their arrival all over again.  I literally am counting the days... and if someone had told me years ago that I would be waiting in such high anticipation for a BIRD of all things, I would have laughed at them.  But, these birds are very pretty, and can be really nice, so why not? :-D

Even though I don't like them, since the guinea's are in the laying phase of their broodiness, I'm not going to get rid of them yet.  I imagine by the time they finish this phase, that perhaps I will have forgiven them to a certain extent, perhaps even enough to consider allowing them to hatch some out.  The one upside to them is that they will help to warn my hens about impending danger.  So, I am considering either making them a new pen, or not worrying about penning them up because trying to get those blasted birds into the pen is just too much trouble some days.

Hopefully since there have been recent sightings of the pair of bald eagles that were released back into the wild in this area, the guineas will be able to help protect the chickens since I doubt my new rooster will be able to take down an eagle.  The jersey giant rooster has a reputation for being able to take down small predators like snakes, coons, hawks etc. and that combined with the fact that they are also supposed to be on the more gentle side of protective I thought it might make a good "first roo".

I'm not looking forward to facing him down some day, but hopefully I can stand my ground and remind him who is boss.  If he ever becomes a problem, he will just get to go into the stew pot I guess.

I'm trying to think of names for my new birds.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading and caring enough to comment!!