- Ms. Bunny has been building and painting me a sign to put by the side of the road to advertise the chicks, eggs, etc. I have for sale.
- Mr. Massey Ferguson has been employed by an elderly woman to help maintain her property, as well as his normal everyday work around here.
- My husband & dad worked together & built me another chicken pen (second one thus far, both have same dimensions, but one has lots of roosters and the other doesn't.) which I am currently using to contain the roosters destined for the stew pot. The new pen is entirely too good for them, but my hens don't like the new pen because it is too "clean" they say, so they keep parading right back into their hen house and making nasty clucking noises in my direction for even making such a suggestion as to MOVE! lol
- Mom, Ms. Bunny & I are preparing to begin the corn preservation push (we put up between 30 & 60 quarts of sweet corn per year). That corn is a very much enjoyed food during those long cold winter months.
- Our garden was a fail on almost all fronts this year. Except for the raspberries, everything failed to produce anything, which was a disappointment but it's just how the world works sometimes. Unfortunately we'll just have to end up buying broccoli, carrots, potatoes, and onions this next year... We've never been allowed to grow our own corn, if we were to grow corn it would mess up the seed corn grown by the farmers who rent our land, so the corn we get is grown for us and the other land owners by the farmers who've signed our contracts. However the raccoons have found the corn patch, so I don't know how that has been handled thus far but live traps & poison were on the list of possible ways to resolve the issue.
- Little Frog is busy as a little bee!!! He's crawling full throttle now, into everything, pulling himself up on furniture and walking along it. Even though he is 9-months, he is registering in the 92nd percentile on development and abilities. We suspect it is due to having 6 adults in the house and all of the non-electronic stimulation he receives from being in a large household. (I do not allow him to play on or watch any electronics).
- Dad is busy busy busy with his honey bee "ladies" as mom calls them. His bee hives are doing fantastic, he's had to add several extra boxes because his "ladies" are working so hard that they are just filling everything up to the brim. If their behavior is any indication, this coming winter is going to be a very very hard one. Dad is making plans to move the hives into a storage shed nearby to protect them from the winter winds, also contemplating providing some sort of a heating system in the event that the interior temperatures drop below 40*F. He is ecstatic that they are doing as well as they are since this is his first year keeping bees.
- He has realized that he knows as much, if not more than most "experts" because he has spent SO MUCH TIME researching, reading, watching videos, talking to people in the area, looking at various set-ups... My dad & I are both the type of people who do a lot of research about things we get into. Total immersion and all that stuff.
- I was "given" 11 chickens last night. 10 chicks that are 2-weeks old of various "mutt" breeds because they are 50% white leghorn, but the other half of their breeding is: welsummer/brahma cross, white leghorn (not a mutt of course), buff brahma, rhode island red & australorp) in various numbers. Also 1 barred rock (adult) rooster, that has been dubbed Coronal Sanders because he is most definitely going to be eaten. He scared little frog by crowing in his face, already has spurs, is too pompous and struts around like he's gonna attack anything that comes too close to him. It hasn't helped his temperament that he has been 100% free range for his entire life, but I am currently
counting the days before these boys are getting tossed in the pot.
Over-all look at 1/3 of the rooster house.
Rusty (EE) No-name EE 2
- The three below are NOT being put in the pot, but while I'm posting rooster photos I thought these boys needed some recognition too! lol